THINK BEFORE YOU BUY.
4 Things to think about before buying a suit
Is it just me or have you noticed that women’s suits are everywhere right now? It seems that the coolest looks are created with tailored suits – put on a suit and you’ll surely be one of the best dressed person no matter where you’re heading into. While I certainly love wearing dresses and skirts over anything else, I find myself thinking about women’s suits, how effortlessly stylish they look, and if I need to add a new set to my closet for the upcoming season.
Several things advocate for the value of suits; they are both trendy and timeless, they flatter all figures and body shapes. They can be worn almost everywhere; to the office, a dinner, a party, and the list goes on. The style works dressed up or down, and as a bonus, you can also wear the pieces as separates. Sounds perfect or what?
But what if you are a girly girl and mostly wear dresses and skirts, or if you love casual style more than formal looks, should you buy a suit because it’s trendy and everybody’s wearing a suit? There’s no point following a trend that doesn’t feel right for you. If you feel that it’s not your thing – if you don’t like it, you’ll never wear it. But if you like it, buy it, wear it – embrace it.
Here are four questions to help you figuring out if a trouser suit is your thing:
1. Is your style formal or casual?
- Do you prefer formal or casual looks? You may love a suit on someone, but if she has a totally different style than yours, you may find yourself feeling insecure when wearing a suit. If you’re comfortable wearing formal looks, that’s a mark in its favor.
2. Do you enjoy wearing structured blazers?
- Are you already comfortable wearing blazers? If structured blazers feel like your thing, you might also feel comfortable and empowered wearing a trouser suit.
3. Can you visualize yourself wearing a suit in real life situations?
- Where would you wear a suit? List at least three situations in which you could wear a suit. If you can imagine yourself happily wearing a suit in real life occasions, it’s a good indication that you would actually wear your suit instead of leaving it to hang in your closet.
4. Do you see yourself wearing a suit short-term or long-term?
- Is a suit something you see yourself wearing season after season? Visualize yourself wearing that same suit in five or even ten years’ time, will that suit stand a test of time?
Before investing in anything new, it’s good to turn inwards for a second and let yourself think about the lifetime value your new purchace will provide. Everyone deserves to look and feel good, and there’s no doubt that fashion can be incredibly powerful tool when it comes to making you feel empowered, but only when you make your own fashion choices and believe in your own sense of style, instead of dressing for someone else.
Thank you for reading,